- a) Cancellation by You
The client may cancel the booking at any time provided that the cancellation is communicated to TalesGator in writing even if verbal notification of an intention to cancel has been given. Cancellation charges will be applied as shown below calculated from the day written notification is received. Cancellation charges are in addition to any insurance, flight or similar service provided plus any additional charges in Clauses 1 & 6. If the reason for cancellation is covered by your insurance policy, you may be able to reclaim these charges. No refunds will be made for any services not utilised.
The date used for calculating cancellation charges is the date from which the Package within the booking commences.
Group Tours or Extra Services;
- 6 days or more: forfeit of all deposits.
- 5 days: 50% of full payment.
- 4 days or less: 100% of full payment.
Cruises to the Galapagos and Antarctica or Tailor-made Tours;
- 90 days or more or as advised in Clause 1b: forfeit of all deposits.
- 89 days or less: 100% of full payment.
Cancellation by You due to Unavoidable & Extraordinary Circumstances
You have the right to cancel your confirmed holiday before departure without paying a cancellation charge in the event of “unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances” occurring at your holiday destination or its immediate vicinity and significantly affecting the performance of the holiday or significantly affecting the transport arrangements to the destination. In these circumstances, we shall provide you with a full refund of the monies you have paid but we will not be liable to pay you any additional compensation. Please note that your right to cancel in these circumstances will only apply where the Foreign and Commonwealth Office advises against travel to your destination or its immediate vicinity. For the purposes of this clause, “unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances” means warfare, acts of terrorism, significant risks to human health such as the outbreak of serious disease at the travel destination or natural disasters such as floods, earthquakes or weather conditions which make it impossible to travel safely to the travel destination.
- b) Cancellation by Us
TalesGator reserves the right to cancel a Package in any circumstances but, except for Force Majeure or the client’s failure to pay the final balance or one of the conditions detailed in Clause 5, will not cancel a Package less than 3 days before departure. Unless the client fails to pay the final balance TalesGator will, upon cancellation, return all monies paid excluding payment for travel insurance, flights, similar services and administration charges or offer an alternative Package of comparable standard.
TalesGator sets its own minimum numbers for Group Tours based on logistics and will operate tours once minimum numbers have been reached. A number of departure dates are guaranteed to depart and will generally operate regardless of whether minimum numbers have been achieved unless it is for safety or operational reasons. On occasion a tour may continue to operate with only one or two people. Where minimum numbers have not been achieved, TalesGator may choose to either operate the Group Tour or cancel the Group Tour. Where we choose to cancel the booking, we will let you know no later than:
- (i) in the case of trips lasting more than 6 days, 20 days before the start of the Package;
- (ii) in the case of trips lasting between 2 and 6 days, 7 days before the start of the Package;
- (iii) in the case of trips lasting less than 2 days, 48 hours before the start of the Package.
If we have to cancel your booking in accordance with this clause, we will tell you as soon as possible and if there is time to do so before departure, we will offer you the choice of:
- (i) having a refund of all monies paid; or
- (ii) if available, accepting an offer of alternative travel arrangements of a comparable or higher standard from us (at no extra cost); or
- (iii) if available, accepting an offer of alternative arrangements of a lower standard, with a refund of the price difference between the original arrangements and the alternative arrangements.
In addition to a full refund of all monies paid by you, we will pay you compensation as detailed below, in the following circumstances:
- (i) If, where we make a significant change, you do not accept the changed arrangements and cancel your booking;
- (ii) If we cancel your booking and no alternative arrangements are available.
If we cancel or make a major change to your holiday less than 28 days before departure, we will pay you compensation as detailed below. The compensation that we offer does not exclude you from claiming more if you are entitled to do so.
- If cancelling more than 28 days before departure: A full refund of monies paid but no further compensation.
- If cancelling between 27 – 14 days before departure: A full refund of monies paid and a 5% discount on the current price published online (excluding Local Payment) of a similar replacement Group Tour (see below).
- If cancelling within 13 days of departure: A full refund of monies paid and a 10% discount on the current price published online (excluding Local Payment) of a similar replacement Group Tour (see below).
Notes: Refunds and discounts referred to here apply only to Group Tours cancelled within 28 days as a result of failure to achieve minimum numbers. A replacement may be any Group Tour operated by TalesGator up to the value of the original Group Tour booked. Refunds and discounts apply to the cost paid for the land Package only and exclude Local Payments, surcharges, Extra Services, insurance premiums and administration charges.
*IMPORTANT NOTE: We will not pay you compensation in the following circumstances:
- a) where we make an insignificant change;
- b) where we make a significant change or cancel your arrangements more than 3 days before departure;
- c) where we make a significant change and you accept those changed arrangements or you accept an offer of alternative travel arrangements;
- d) where we have to cancel your arrangements as a result of your failure to make full payment on time;
- e) where the change or cancellation by us arises out of alterations to the confirmed booking requested by you;
- f) where we are forced to cancel or change your arrangements due to Force Majeure (see Clause 4);
- g) where we cancel your booking as a result of a failure to achieve minimum numbers for your tour and we notify you within the time periods stipulated in this clause.
If we become unable to provide a significant proportion of the arrangements that you have booked with us after you have departed, we will, if possible, make alternative arrangements for you at no extra charge and where those alternative arrangements are of a lower standard, provide you with an appropriate price reduction.